Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Importance of Being Fernando Alonso


If you ask me for the F1 World Champion 2008, I will answer: I don't know. However, I think that it's very, very possible that will be one of the Scuderia Ferrari or McLaren-Mercedes drivers, specially Kimi Raikkonen or Lewis Hamilton. Call me silly :-p.

I'm not sure about Felipe Massa and Heikki Kovalainen. Massa is a good driver but he is also too weak, and Heikki... well he is a 26-year-old sophomore, and driving the 4th-best car in the field he only had 4 top 6's in 18 races (Fisico, his teammate, had 5 top 6's with the same car).

In my opinion, Kimi was in the appropriate place at the appropriate moment, driving a Ferrari, of course, and Lewis... Lewis showed that he knows how to lose a F1 World Championship that he had it in his pocket.

And what about Fernando Alonso... well, well, well. We know he is going to drive the 4th-2007-best car, theoretically, a seventh place finish at the 2008 F1 World Championship should be logical. However, I think, Fernando can fight for the fifth place against the BMW Sauber drivers. Fight for the championship is very complicated, he would need more than 120 points, and Heikki last year got only 30 points!! 90 extra-points is too much to recover in only one season.

And the people who know about this, what do they say? I mean...
What do the bookmakers say? Well, the bookmakers made Alonso FOURTH favorite to win the drivers championship, just ahead of Kovalainen, and just behind of Massa. The favorite to win the championship is Kimi followed by Lewis, of course.

The average relative probabilities, according to the UK principal bookmakers, are:
  • 40% - Kimi Raikonnen
  • 35% - Lewis Hamilton
  • 17% - Felippe Massa
  • 13% - Fernando Alonso
  • 11% - Heikki Kovalainen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice statistics, I think it is difficult to tell who will win the 2008 title there are at least four drivers who have the potential to win the
Formula1 title. I will be closely watching the races, keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you